Dear CPC Family,
First, thank you for your patience, faithful service, and loving consideration of others during the COVID-19 pandemic.
As we move forward, we have exciting and hopeful news as we continue to move back towards a full reopening and normalcy. Your elders met this past Sunday to vote on a new mask policy in light of the announced mask guideline changes from the CDC and the State of Maryland.
For some, this may feel a bit slow; for others, it’s a bit too swift. Our hope and prayer is that we might be, as the Apostle Paul writes in Ephesians 4:3, “eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace” as we take these steps towards gathering fully together once again.
NEW MASK POLICY
In accordance with the CDC and Governor Hogan, the Session of Columbia Presbyterian Church has lifted the mask mandate for individuals who are immunized, whether through vaccination or prior confirmed infection. Those persons may come to the church and participate without a mask. Nursery workers are required to wear masks while serving in the nursery. This also impacts activities held on CPC’s campus.
Please keep in mind, however, that we may have a substantial number of brothers and sisters who may not yet be fully immunized. There may be people who do not feel comfortable to be near unmasked persons. In loving deference to those persons, we will offer a seating section near the exits designated for masked persons only.
If you choose that option, it is our intent that you be able to enter and exit the main hall and be seated throughout the service without coming within 6 feet of any unmasked individuals. We ask that those enjoying the freedom of unmasked attendance make an effort to help with this safety provision for those who choose that section.
Of course, you are also free to wear a mask and sit anywhere. Parents should exercise their oversight and discretion regarding whether their children wear masks at church services and other events, noting that CDC policy still is to mask children at school. Consider bringing a mask with you to wear when talking with your masked friends.
State and CDC guidelines can change frequently, and we will regularly monitor any developments. We ask for your gracious acceptance of these decisions as we seek to live and love together at CPC.
~ Pastor Randy Lovelace
SUMMARY OF CHANGES
- Mask mandate at CPC has been lifted.
- Masks are recommended for any person not fully immunized. This affects corporate worship and all other indoor activities at Columbia Presbyterian Church (organizations that use our facilities may follow their own policies).
- There will be a section of seating for masks only during worship. We will not require people with masks to sit here, but rather wish to accommodate any who prefer to have distance from others not wearing masks. This area will have signage.
- Nursery workers are required to wear masks while serving in the nursery.
- We respect parental discretion whether their children wear masks (please take note of CDC guidelines for children in schools).
- We will continue offering hand sanitizer at various places throughout the lobby.
- There will no longer be any capacity restriction for restrooms. We will no longer employ a restroom attendant.